It's been really hard to keep this secret....we knew you'd love this yarn and we've been itching to tell all the Knitch Knitters about SHELTER from Brooklyn Tweed for months. This secret was worth keeping though, because the yarn is even better than we had imagined and we're thrilled to be able to unveil it!
From Brooklyn Tweed himself:
In September 2009 , Jared began researching answers to very specific questions he had been asking myself for some time: With such a rich textile history and an abundance of fiber and resources, why is there such a tangible absence of commercial American yarns available to the broader hand knitting community? Is it possible to develop 100% American sourced, spun & designed yarns and present them in a competitive & compelling way in the current market? What would a yarn look like that was designed from the ground up by a single designer? The desire to answer these questions sparked the beginning of a year-long journey that has allowed me to pursue a personal dream of developing my own line of wool yarn. The result of this process is SHELTER, an artisanal American Wool with a wonderful story and unique identity.
Before making steps towards the realization of SHELTER, Jared made a list of the qualities that he desired in his own ideal yarn for hand knitting. The list below served as a road map to making the search a reality.
• A woolen-spun 2-ply wool with extremely light and lofty hand
• A light worsted weight gauge that is fluid enough to create a variety of fabrics
• A yarn that allowed easy visualization of stitch architecture without creating heavy or dense fabrics.
• A rich palette of deep autumnal hues and natural greys and browns
• Fleece-dyed fiber for sophisticated heathers and tweeds
• All wools sourced and grown on American soil
• Locating American sheep breeds whose inherent qualities include both softness and structure.
• All labor and milling completed on American soil
• A high-quality and aesthetically beautiful finished product that brings with it a rich and meaningful story
• Give consumers the opportunity to support the once-great American Textile Industry through the purchase of high-quality, artisanal wool.
SHELTER is constructed from 100% wool from the Targhee-Columbia cross breed. Both Targhee and Columbia were developed as American sheep breeds in the early 20th century and have rich farming histories in the West. Both breeds have specific qualities that create wonderful wool for handknitting. Targhee is considered a Fine Wool (21-25 microns), bringing softness, while Columbia is a Medium Wool (24-31 microns) that brings an element of structure and strength.
A cross between these breeds brings together the sometimes disparate qualities of both wearability and durability, creating a yarn that is uniquely suited for the needs of handknitters and wool-wearers alike.
This yarn is inspiring!
We just have to add that the colors remind us of all that is wonderful about Autumn . . . with evocative names like Long Johns, Wool Socks, Faded Quilt, Woodsmoke, Embers, Almanac, Nest, Hayloft, Homemade Jam, Sweatshirt, Pumpernickel, Fossil, Tent, Sap, Thistle . . . even Button Jar and Soot.
SHELTER comes in a beautiful 50 gram hank with a clean, center-wrap ball band in recyclable natural brown paper.
Because of its light, woolen preparation, SHELTER sports very generous yardage for a worsted weight yarn. Each 50g hank packs approximately 140 yards. An average adult sweater (1100 yards) requires only 6 skeins and the price per skein is only 12.50 -- approximately 8.3 cents per yard, a price that is directly comparable to many commercial wools of the same weight.
There are 8 wonderful patterns available . . . all drool worthy . . . and here are four of them: Guernsey Wrap, Terra Shawl, Habitat Cabled Beanie, and Woodruff Mittens.
We hope you've enjoyed drooling over the photos..and now you really must come and visit this special yarn! We hope to see you soon! In the meantime, we're all rolling around in wooly wonderfulness!